The condition - a condition that must be understood and controlled daily!
atopy is a chronic inflammatory disorder of the skin. It affects 10-20% of the population and has a tendency of growth worldwide especially in developed countries. In 60% of cases it starts under the age of 1 year, 85% of the cases starts until the age of 5, but it can persist to adulthood.
It is characterized by the appearance of irritated, thickened, reddish, itchy areas, located mainly in the area of the folds, elbows, knees, neck, face, hands, feet, groin area. The skin is thickened and dry, itching (itching) is very common, favoring the appearance of lesions and scratches (mustang lesions). It is often associated with a condition of chronic fatigue due mainly to the itching that prevents the baby's sleep.
Hereditary predisposition plays an important role, with most children having a family history of atopy.
Are two types of atopic dermatitis: allergic and non-allergic, 70% having an allergic weight. The disease cannot be cured but only ameliorated, as relapses can occur throughout life.
Triggering factors are numerous: hereditary, alteration of the skin barrier (which causes excessive drying of the skin and the appearance of the bristles), climatic and environmental (which can trigger the outbreaks), food - causes the appearance of inflammation (cow's milk, soy, peanuts, peanuts, seafood), mites, clothing made of synthetic fibers or wool.
The main symptom is itching which leads to lesions, scratches, which presents a very high risk of bacterial overinfection on the affected areas, decreased resistance to fungi and viruses, permanent scars due to the scratching (scratching). The evolution is unpredictable, the symptoms can reappear at any time throughout the child's life.
Stages of atopic dermatitis
Infantile atopic dermatitis which is installed up to the age of 2 years. The first signs appear around the age of 2 months, with vesicles located on the face, forehead, retro-auricular area.
Atopic dermatitis of the child (2-12 years).Begins after the age of 2 years, areas with thickened skin appear especially at the knees, elbows, neck.
Atopic dermatitis in adultsand which are installed or persist after 12 years. Localized lesions appear peri-buccal, face, eyelids. Frequently, these manifestations may be accompanied by itching. Other associated diseases can be allergic rhinitis and asthma.
diagnosis it is established exclusively on the basis of clinical observations, without being able to perform a series of tests specific to this condition. The risk of overinfection is not to be neglected, because the lesions that once appeared can be colonized with Staphylococcus auriu or herpetic virus, aggravating the subsequent evolution. For this reason The use of washing gels or creams with anti-bacterial agents is essential.
Measures to be taken to prevent outbreaks
- Constant temperature in the space for living;
- Wearing clothes made of natural fibers (except wool and synthetic fibers);
- Renouncing soap and using gels without soap, without perfume, without parabens, specially designed for this type of pathology;
- Avoiding excessive washing, maintaining an optimal level of skin hydration and emolliation;
- Baths and showers must be made with hot water and must be followed by the application of an emollient cream.
The treatment involves avoiding as much as possible the triggering factors of the lesions, controlling the itching, limiting the inflammation, restoring the skin barrier function. The products used are emollient, antibacterial creams. Dermo-corticosteroids are used only during implantation.
Atopic dermatitis it is not a contagious disease, it is not taken from one person to another. No further measures should be taken and there are no restrictions on the integration of the child in communities.
URIAGE Dermatological Laboratories (France) will recommend 2 essential steps for effective atopy control:
1. Use of special washing products for dry, atopic skin - Xemose Syndet Washing Gel 200ml (no soap and no perfume);
2. Daily emolliation (1-2 hours) with the product Xemose Cream 200ml - removes the skin barrier, moisturizes and soothes irritations with the unique concept Uriage CERASTEROL 2F: Omega3 Ceramides + Omega 6 Ceramides + Phytosterols + Uriage Thermal Water - in a very stable formula.
Overcoming / improving the shoots, soothing the skin irritations:
1. Irritated skin hygiene: Cu-Zn Washing Gel 200ml - cleanses, soothes, disinfects, prevents bacterial proliferation
2. Care of irritated areas: Cu-Zn 40ml anti-irritation cream - repairs, soothes irritations, prevents over-infections
We are with you on the official Facebook page of Uriage.
Tags Atopic Dermatitis Babies Baby Care Baby Skin Affections Baby Skin Care